10 Property Management Tips to Help Avoid Holiday Fires
Decorations and Other Holiday Festivities Should Be Approached with Care
For most people, the holiday season represents a time for festivities, good cheer and decking the halls. Christmas trees, wreaths, and menorahs are displayed and strings of blinking lights drape balconies and clubhouses at apartment complexes. But what few consider is that these decorations can contribute significantly to holiday fires. Dry holiday trees and lighted candles comprise some of the greatest dangers.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 240 home fires per year that started with Christmas trees. Nearly half of these fires were caused by electrical problems, and one in four resulted from a heat source that was placed too close to the tree.
Is Your Apartment Property Ready for the Holidays?
By following a few fire prevention tips and measures suggested by the American Red Cross and NFPA, the risk of fire resulting from holiday fun can be greatly reduced. Here are 10 tips that property owners and managers can use to educate apartment residents and staff when decking the halls:
- When using an artificial tree, wreath or garland, be sure that the product is labeled, certified or identified by the manufacturer as fire-retardant.
- When choosing a fresh tree, make sure the green needles don’t fall off when touched. Before placing it in the stand, cut 1-2” from the base of the trunk. Add water to the tree stand and make sure someone is responsible for watering the tree daily.
- Make sure the tree and other holiday decorations are not blocking an exit and that they are at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, space heaters, radiators, candles and heat vents or lights.
- Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory and make sure you know whether they are designed for indoor or outdoor use. Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords, or loose bulb connections. Connect no more than three strands of mini-light sets or a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs.
- Never use candles to decorate the tree. Artificial candles are an available and safer alternative.
- Never leave children or pets alone in a room with a lit candle.
- Always turn off all holiday lights before leaving the home, office or clubhouse, and before going to bed.
- After the holidays, get rid of live decorations. Dried-out trees, wreaths, and garlands are a fire hazard and should not be left in the home, garage, storage building, or placed outside on the property.
- Do not hang decorations from fire sprinklers. Also, make sure smoke alarms are in working order.
- When hanging decorations, use the correct ladder for the job and have help on hand, especially for tough jobs.
The holidays can quickly turn from joyful to tragic when a fire occurs. By taking simple precautions, property owners and apartment residents can avoid potential fire hazards and make this time of year a healthy and happy one.
Have an emergency at your property? – Call SERVPRO of Upper Darby, PA at (610) 352-0700 for all your cleaning, water damage, fire damage and mold remediation needs!
We Will Protect Your Business and Your Clients When Restoring Your Property
At SERVPRO of Upper Darby, PA, we know that damage to the properties you manage could leave your tenants displaced or your client's business out of commission indefinitely. Our professionals work efficiently to minimize the disruption and restore your facility to preloss conditions as soon as possible. We'll help you protect the security and safety of your facility and your clients.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Upper Darby?
Flexible Solutions to Allow Normal Operations
We understand that your property needs to continue operating, even in the face of disaster. In many cases, SERVPRO of Upper Darby, PA can clean up in a way that the damaged space can be safely isolated from functional space so that normal operations can proceed around the cleanup.
Scalable Resources to Accommodate Any Size Project
As a national leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO of Upper Darby, PA can scale the number of personnel, equipment, and project management team members to accommodate any size project. For major events and large scale losses, we can mobilize one of our elite Commercial Large Loss Teams.