Electrical Fires: Safety Tips to Reduce Your Risk
Reducing the Risk of Electrical Fires in Your Upper Darby, PA Home Can Be Simple
With technology and electronic accessories being an inescapable part of day-to-day activities, it means that electricity is in high-demand and is working around the clock in the home setting. Undoubtedly, homes today are generating a tremendous amount of electricity, and the greater the electric load, the greater the risk of electric-related fires.
Below are safety measures one can take to reduce the risk of electrical fires in your home:
- Inspect your home for loose, shorted and faulty wires that increase the risk of potential electrical fires, as electric wiring eventually needs to be replaced. Signs that faulty wiring is a pressing issue can include flickering lamps, buzzing outlets, or outlets that spark when an electronic device is plugged into it.
- Utilize safety measures with electric cords. This includes replacing cords that are loose, frayed or contain cracks. Never place cords in areas that receive a large volume of foot traffic, such as under mats or carpeting. Avoid tacking cords to surfaces with nails or staples.
- Only use the correct wattage light bulbs in all fixtures. If the wattage is higher than the requirement noted on the lamp or appliance, replace the bulbs immediately. Firmly secure light bulbs in the socket to safeguard them from overheating.
- Use a surge protector to guard appliances and other electronics in your home. It is important that homeowners use a surge protector that is equivalent to the equipment one has while keeping in mind that they only protect the items that are directly plugged into them.
- As the average daily temperature declines, portable space heaters run a high risk of electrical fires. Other risks include lamps, blow dryers, hair straighteners, and clothing irons. Any object made of fabric, such as towels and bath mats, can quickly ignite and spread fire rapidly.
Reducing the risk of electrical fires in your home is relatively simple, but the safety benefits are worth a great deal of peace-of-mind.
What To Do After a Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator, and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After a Fire
- Do not attempt to clean any walls, painted surfaces, carpets or upholstery without contacting a professional.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Do not use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near fire, heat or water.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Do not send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster
When fire and water damage strikes, a fast response is critical. We’re dedicated to responding immediately, day or night, to your Upper Darby, PA home or business. A faster response helps to prevent secondary damage and to reduce cost.