Prepare Your Emergency Survival Kit In Advance
Supplies To Consider For Your Emergency Survival Kit That Fit The Potential Disasters That May Strike Delaware County, PA
When creating an emergency survival kit for the home, consider the supplies you might need to last you, your family and pets for a minimum of three to seven days. In case of emergencies that may require that you leave your home quickly, such as a flood, prepare your kit well in advance, and keep it in an easily accessible location so you can take essential items with you if you must evacuate with little notice.
For other emergencies that might require staying in place at home for several days, such as a blizzard, you might want to gather supplies when a storm is first forecast and closely monitor the storm, to ensure that you have everything you need on hand.
Whether you are hunkering down to weather a storm at home, scrambling to evacuate to get to safety, or facing the possibility of being stranded in your vehicle during stormy weather, one thing is sure: having the proper provisions can help make a difficult scenario safer for you.
The following are some of the key considerations for a survival kit to fit these potential emergency situations. Consider how each of them could suit these scenarios and arm yourself appropriately.
- One gallon of water, per person, per day.
- Non-perishable and canned foods, along with a non-electric can opener.
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items.
- Flashlights with extra batteries.
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio, with extra batteries if relevant.
- Extra clothing and blankets.
- A first-aid kit.
- Emergency cash and checks as credit cards may not be dependable in a power outage.
- Chargers for electronics, including vehicle chargers.
- A whistle to signal for help.
- Duct tape.
- Copies of personal documents, including a home inventory list, insurance policies and other important legal and financial documents.
- Bug spray (depending on location and climate).
- Hand and foot warmers (pending climate).
- Pen and notebook to keep notes such as important phone numbers, in case the power is out and electronic devices are not working.
- Baby supplies such as diapers, wipes, infant formula, food and bottles.
- Pet food and extra water for your pets.
- At least a three- to seven-day supply of any daily medication for family members and pets.
SERVPRO of Upper Darby, PA understands the stress and worry that comes with a fire or water damage and the disruption it causes your life and in your home or business. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption to your life and quickly make it "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Upper Darby, PA specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial properties after a fire damage, smoke damage, water damage and/or mold contamination, as well as provides trauma cleanup, vandalism cleanup, carpet cleaning and duct cleaning services for your home or business.
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certifications, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge and experience to restore your property. With a nationwide system of qualified franchises, no damage is too large or too small for SERVPRO of Upper Darby, PA.
If you would like to schedule service for your home or business, please call us at (610) 352-0700
Visit us online to meet our team and learn more about our services.