Battery Safety in Your Havertown, PA Home
It’s National Battery Day! Nowadays, it’s hard to imagine where our lives would be without the day-to-day use of batteries. Even though batteries bring us ease and comfort, there is serious danger when they are not properly taken care of. Commonly used batteries such as AA and AAA can cause a fire under the right conditions, so it’s critical to be educated on how to properly handle them.
Types of Batteries
It’s good to know offhand what types of batteries you’ll be able to reuse in the future versus which ones are a one time use:
- Nickel Metal Hydride
- Silver Oxide
- Alkaline & Zinc Carbon
- Zinc Air
Don’t forget that most batteries can be recycled, Pennsylvania currently doesn’t have state laws to regulate the recycling of batteries, but you can read up on the federal requirements here. You can also use the Call 2 Recycle website to find the nearest drop-off location to you. It’s amazing to think that all the components of your old batteries can be recycled down and made into brand new batteries!
Important Battery Tips
- Do not store batteries in a metal container – either keep them in their original packaging or plastic/wood containers.
- Do not store old and new batteries together; they could react and cause the newer ones to lose voltage faster.
- Store them in a cool place (not fridge) to slow down the internal chemical reaction. Freezing or refrigerating will create condensation on the batteries and cause rust.
- Expiration date only means that the battery power is reducing, they still work!
- Keep batteries away from humid environments.
- Do not puncture or damage batteries.
- Alkaline, manganese, and carbon-zinc can be trashed.
Be Emergency Ready
Don’t let a crisis or disaster catch you off guard. When taking steps to be prepared, make sure you have reliable batteries for the following items so you can stay safe and informed:
- Power bank for phone
- Portable generator
- Backup battery for computer
- Solar panel charger
- Smoke & Carbon Monoxide detector
- Emergency radio
- WiFi hotspot
Consider buying as many of the aforementioned items that share the same type of battery as possible, that way you switch the batteries between them if needed.
Why SERVPRO of Upper Darby?
Each fire loss is a unique situation that requires a unique solution to mitigate. That’s why once SERVPRO of Upper Darby is on the scene we immediately assess the damage to determine the next proper steps. Part of our process is to use technologically advanced equipment extract water if any present, dry anything affected, remove odors, and apply antimicrobial to reduce the risk of future mold.