Space Heater Safety Tips for Drexel Hill, PA
Portable electric space heaters can be a convenient source of supplemental heat for your home. Unfortunately, they can pose significant fire hazards if not used properly. Fire hazards can be caused by space heaters without adequate safety features, space heaters placed near combustibles, or space heaters that are improperly plugged in.
Safety should always be a top consideration when using space heaters. Here are a few tips for keeping your home safe and warm when it’s cold outside:
- Space heaters are only meant to provide supplemental heat and should never be used to warm bedding, cook food, dry clothing or thaw pipes.
- Proper placement of space heaters is critical. Heaters must be kept at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including papers, clothing and rugs.
- Place space heaters on level, flat surfaces. Never place heaters on cabinets, tables, furniture, or carpet, which can overheat and start a fire.
- Locate space heaters out of high traffic areas and doorways where they may pose a tripping hazard.
- Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could overheat and result in a fire. Do not plug any other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you're leaving a room or going to sleep, and don't let pets or children play too close to a space heater.
- Make sure your space heater has the label showing that it is listed by a recognized testing laboratory.
- Before using any space heater, read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels carefully.
- Inspect heaters for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections before each use. If frayed, worn or damaged, do not use the heater.
- Install smoke alarms on every floor of your home and outside all sleeping areas and test them once a month.
- Always unplug and safely store the heater when it is not in use.
If a Space Heater Has Caused Fire, Smoke or Soot Damage to Your Property Call SERVPRO of Upper Darby at (610) 352-0700
Why Choose SERVPRO of Upper Darby
Heating equipment is the second leading cause of home fires in the United States. More than 65,000 home fires are attributed to heating equipment each year. These fire result in hundreds of deaths, thousands of injuries and millions of dollars in property damage.
When a fire emergency happens, you need fire repair and restoration professionals to help you recover from the devastation and minimize further financial and material loss. As water and fire damage specialists, we have the experience, the expertise, and the advanced training that enables us to get your property restored quickly and thoroughly.