What You Should Know About Water
Water is necessary for life but there are situations where water can cause distress—namely when it causes damage. There are several different causes of water damage, but some are more prevalent than others.
Why Is There Water Damage?
The Travelers Insurance Companies Inc. noted the top five causes of home claims from 2009 to 2015 were:
- Exterior wind damage
- Non-weather-related water damage
- Weather-related water damage
The top five cause for water damage are plumbing issues, appliance leaks, water pipe failures, old water heaters and weather. There are non-weather-related and weather-related water damage situations.
Weather-related damage naturally results from weather such as rain and snow.
Non-weather-related water damage is caused by problems with plumbing and appliances. The top five cause for water damage are plumbing issues, appliance leaks, water pipe failures, old water heaters and weather.
Ways to Protect Your Home
Be sure that you are covered by your homeowner’s insurance plan. Look for these situations, which are usually covered by a standard homeowner’s policy:
- Sewage and overflow of water, even by accident
- Winter damage caused by snow and ice
- Frozen plumbing and pipes
- Aging hot water heat systems
These preventive tips are just some of the actions you can take to help fight water damage in your home.
- Running the sump pump every few months and cleaning it before the rainy season
- Taking time to flush the hot water tank every six months
- Getting back flow valves and standpipes put in basement drains
- Clearing the gutters and downspouts of debris
- Keeping grease out the kitchen sink and drain
- Applying water sensors and automatic shut-off valves
- Using metal mesh connection hoses on the washer and dryer
Have Water or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today – (610) 352-0700
Why Choose SERVPRO of Upper Darby?
Our advanced equipment helps to detect hidden moisture, extract the standing water quickly, and thoroughly clean and dry your home and belongings. We finish the job with professional deodorization and sanitizing agents for your comfort and safety.