‘Tis the Season – For Flu!
Commonsense Precautions to Help Control Spread of the Flu Virus
Flu season is here. The cleaning pros at SERVPRO of Upper Darby—experts in cleaning and sanitizing—remind New Castle County home and business owners how important it is to step-up routine cleaning efforts during this time of year. The flu virus can remain viable on surfaces for up to 48 hours. Cleaning surfaces and objects that are frequently touched minimizes the likelihood of contacting the flu virus when you touch an infected surface.
According to the CDC, nearly 15% of the U.S. population suffered from the flu in 2018. More than 950,000 people were hospitalized and almost 80,000 people died from flu complications, making 2018 the most severe flu season since 2009.
Protect Yourself From the Contracting the Flu
The CDC recommends the following to help protect yourself or your loved ones from contracting the flu.
- Get vaccinated. The CDC recommends a yearly flu vaccination as the first and most important protection against this serious virus.
- Thoroughly wash your hands (20 seconds or more with soap and water) or sanitize them frequently throughout the day, even if you are not infected, to help protect yourself and others.
- Beware of frequently touched surfaces, like handrails and doorknobs. Keep them clean at home using a bleach and water solution and clean your hands as soon as possible if you must touch them in public.
Control the Spread of the Flu
If you or a family member comes down with the flu despite these precautions, keep in mind the flu spreads primarily through droplets from a sick person when they cough, sneeze, or talk. With that in mind, the CDC offers the following guidelines to help control the spread of the disease:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue, your sleeve, or your elbow when you cough or sneeze. Dispose of the tissue and clean your hands with soap or a sanitizer with 60 percent alcohol.
- Stay home and keep your distance. Infected droplets from a sick person’s nose or mouth can travel up to six feet and land in the noses and mouths of people nearby, exposing them to the illness.
- Wait until you are fever free – without medications – for at least 24 hours before returning to school, work, or normal activities.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated
There is no such thing as a foolproof flu protection plan but frequent hand-washing and conscientious cleaning practices at home, work, and in the community are precautions everyone can practice to help keep them and their loved ones healthy.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Upper Darby?
As an emergency response company, SERVPRO of Upper Darby understands the hidden danger of contaminated surfaces in a workplace or home. This time of year, the flu virus can be a hidden danger at home, at work, and in the community. It is a serious illness that should be taken seriously.
With advanced technology and techniques, SERVPRO of Upper Darby can help transform these unhealthy environments back into clean, safe homes and offices. For more information on SERVPRO of Upper Darby’s cleaning services, please contact us at (610) 352-0700