If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (877) 352-0700

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Christmas Tree Mold Is Real!

12/14/2017 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation Christmas Tree Mold Is Real! Safe holidays are happy holidays!

4 Ways To Reduce Christmas Tree Mold Levels

Live Christmas trees may bring more than the fresh pine scent of the holiday season into homes.  With most trees cut in advance of the holidays and stored in a moist environment for fresh keeping, this makes them a likely mold source. 

Here are a few tips to help you cut the Christmas mold level in your home, without giving up the fresh tree:

  1. Limit The Time You Leave Your Tree Up

The longer the tree is inside of your home, the higher the mold level may be.  If those in your household are prone to mold allergies, but don’t want to give up the fresh Christmas tree, consider putting the tree up Christmas Eve and taking it down on New Year’s Day.  Try to keep a live tree in your home between 4-7 days at maximum.

  1. Wash Your Tree

Before bringing the freshly cut tree inside of your home, wash it first using the garden hose.  Set the nozzle to a hard-spray level to get into all of those little nooks and crannies of the trunk.  Then, wipe the trunk thoroughly with a solution of warm water and bleach (1 part bleach to 20 parts water).  Let it dry in the sun before bringing it inside of your home.

  1. Use an Air Purifier

Run an air purifier in the same room as the fresh tree.  Cleaner air is key during the holidays, and helps to reduce your mold exposure and lessen the effects of your tree allergies.

  1. Go Fake

The best way to avoid the mold infestation is to buy an artificial tree.  Unless you store your artificial tree inside of a sealed plastic bag, it will still need a good shaking outside when it’s brought out of storage each year to relieve it of dust.  Also, store all of your Christmas ornaments and decorations in plastic containers (instead of cardboard ones) to keep the dust off of them.

If you see signs of mold, call SERVPRO of Upper Darby, PA today – (610) 352-0700.

Your Belongings and Mold Damage

Water and mold damage affect not only the structure of your home, but also your belongings.  SERVPRO of Upper Darby, PA understands that your home is more than a structure.  Your family’s furniture, clothing, keepsakes and other belongings help to transform a house into a home.

Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by reviewing these mold damage tips.

Call SERVPRO of Upper Darby, PA at (610) 352-0700 for all your cleaning, water damagefire damage and mold remediation needs! 

Other News

View Recent Posts